Tags: candy | meth | ohio | boy

Candy With Meth in Ohio Sickens Boy, Mother Says

halloween jack-o-lantern pail with spilling candy on white background
A 5-year-old boy in Ohio fell ill and tested positive for meth, and his mother believes the drug came from Halloween candy. (Jennifer Barrow/Dreamstime.com)

By | Tuesday, 30 October 2018 12:45 PM

An Ohio mother says Halloween candy tainted with meth may have put her 5-year-old son in the hospital on Sunday, WBNS-TV reported.

Braylen Carwell had been trick-or-treating in his neighborhood Sunday afternoon but shortly after returning home, he collapsed and started shaking.

"The left side of his face was just droopy and then he fell and then he couldn't move his left arm and he didn't know where he was, he didn't know what he was doing," the boy's mother, Julia Pence, told WSYX-TV.

Braylen Carwell was rushed to a hospital, where he tested positive for methamphetamines.

His parents think the only way their son could have come into contact with the drug is through candy he had received while trick-or-treating.

Authorities said an investigation has been launched, although they have not confirmed whether candy laced with meth is what led to the boy's hospitalization, according to a Facebook post.

The Galion Police Department urged parents to check candy and non-candy items that their children may receive.

Braylen Carwell has made a full recovery, but the incident has sparked concern among parents.

"I won't be taking my kids out trick-or-treating anymore. I will buy them candy and they'll be the end of it," said one parent, Autumn Meuser, according to KTRK-TV. "That kid could've died," she added.

The incident follows reports from the Dublin Police Department in Georgia, which shared images of meth pills designed to resemble candy.

"While it is not a custom of drug dealers to target children, officers of the department took the initiative to send out a public awareness announcement in order to educate our community as to the existence of this type of drug and its resemblance to children's candy," the post said.

1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Candy tainted with meth in Ohio may have put a 5-year-old boy in the hospital, a mother said when her son fell ill and tested positive for the drug after trick-or-treating.
candy, meth, ohio, boy
293
2018-45-30
Tuesday, 30 October 2018 12:45 PM
questsin Media, Inc.