Gold prospecting requires a reliable metal detector that is able to locate those elusive nuggets and flakes buried deep within the sand, but with so many options available how do you know which is the right fit for you?
There are a few things to keep in mind when deciding which metal detector to buy, especially if you are a first-time prospector, according to Metaldetector.com, a Massachusetts-based firm.
Before pulling out your wallet, it is a good idea to figure out how often you plan to use the equipment, what your budget is, and whether or not you can afford the additional accessories such as metaldetecting headphone or a pick-and-carry bag.
Alert: US Dollar Expected to Devalue During Imminent 'Currency War'
Once you know exactly what your needs are, you can start looking at which top gold prospecting metal detectors are best for you, as listed below:
1. Whites TDI BeachHunter Extreme Pulse Waterproof Metal Detector — Manufactured by White's Electronics in Oregon, this is a more top-of-the-range detector built specifically for both the beach and goldfields. It retails for around $1,299.95 and offers extreme depth performance on land and sea, is lightweight, waterproof for up to 25 feet, and can run for up to six hours on its rechargeable battery.
2. Garret AT Gold Metal Detector
— While this detector is not ideal for saltwater or surf hunting, its 18kHz frequency makes enhanced detection for small gold nuggets, jewelry, coins, and relics a reality. The AT Gold, created by Garret, is waterproof up to 10 feet and retails for about $749.95
3. Nokta AU Gold Finder Metal Detector — Nokta is known to manufacture deep-seeking detectors, which is a key feature of the AU Gold Finder. The gold detector is geared towards more serious gold hunters searching for small to large nuggets and is suitable for all types of terrain. Its retail price is roughly $799.
Income Revolution: The Retirement Secret Becomes a Movement
4. Makro Gold Kruzer Metal Detector — Touted as a high-performance gold detector, the Gold Kruzer is sensitive to small nuggets and can detect them in the harshest ground conditions. It is lightweight, waterproof up to 16.4 feet, features extra underground depth, and has a battery life of up to 19 hours. The detector’s suggested retail price is $749.
5. Minelab X-TERRA 705 Gold Pack Metal Detector — Minelab designed the X-TERRA 705 with efficiency in mind. The lightweight, quick-assembly detector is compact and robust, making it easy to locate gold nuggets of various sizes at different depths. The detector operates on four standard AA batteries and retails below $1,000.
6. Fisher Gold Bug 2 — This metal detector is touted as one of “the most sensitive gold hunting detectors ever made” and is ideal for intermediate prospecting enthusiasts, retailing at around $899.99. The Fisher Gold Bug 2 has extreme sensitivity to small gold nuggets and is both lightweight and hip-mountable for convenience.
Special: You Won’t Become a Millionaire Until You Read This Book . . .